[sudo-discuss] [Mesh] Should we take about 20 used Aasus Eee PC 1201n Netbook donation?

max b maxb.personal at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 02:52:13 PDT 2015

I've used netbooks like these in the past on a number of occasions
(actually spent 2 years of my life doing freelance dev work on a lenovo s10
ideapad), and they definitely have their uses. Especially because folks who
are excited about learning can take them home.

Keyboard replacement should be pretty easy. Maybe we can even do like an
earn-a-bike type program where if someone replaces the keyboard and
installs an open OS, they can keep it (or maybe we add a few volunteer
hours in there as well...)

Just expect them to go really quickly and probably never come back. But
that's probably a good sign eh? :)

Oh and I highly recommend Lubuntu for these - any of the usual ubuntu
graphical desktops are memory hogs  (unity is the worst). Lubuntu is my go
to for lighter weight systems for folks who still want things to "just
work".