[sudo-discuss] Omni fermentation restartup

Ken Litchfield litchfield.ken at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 00:28:13 PDT 2015

Heyall,

My name is Ken Litchfield and I'm with BAAM/CCL. I had talked to a few
folks about the fermentation group and how to become involved. I learned
that it seems to have been on a bit of a hiatus for a few weeks/months, so
I volunteered to get it cranked back up, beginning with cleanup,
reorganization, and rejuvention/startup of cultures over the next few
weeks. And perhaps then start having regular bigger events perhaps monthly
or more often.

I understand that there are a number of folks in Sudo and CCL that have an
interest in the area.

Last Wed eve we had our first clean up/reorganization of the fermentation
area along the border between Sudo and CCL. There have been some rodent
problems in the area so part of the intent is to make it easier to keep the
area clean and rodent free. We have moved the equipment and fridge from
positions in the middle of the room to the periphery along the CCL side of
the Sudo wall L-ing over to the sterile trasfer hood. We removed the stuff
from under and behind the hood so we can move the hood against the wall. We
didn't toss out anything except obvious trash and all the stuff we found is
on top or under the folding table and the cabinets. We didn't take
everything out of all the cabinet drawers because some were locked and we
couldn't determine who had the keys.

We welcome the continued participation of any folks who have been involved
in the past and invite any of you who would like to start participating.

Each Wed we'll be having an activity evening in the fermentation area for
the next several weeks. We could use assistance with any of the following:

Plan is to use a couple of the doors from under the ballroom stage storage
area and place them on top of paired cabinets as open work space where the
cabinets and folding table are located now. Storage would be underneath and
on shelving on top and in the back of the door tabletops.

Need several strong folks at each corner of the sterile transfer hood for a
couple minutes to slide it back against the wall.

There are several kombucha cultures in 5 gallon buckets or smaller mason
jars that aren't labeled. If you know the history and provenance of any of
of them please label them with creation dates, components, human
companions, and any other pertinent info. They all appear to be pretty much
viable so if they aren't claimed we'll clean them and rejuvenate them with
the standard formula and go from there with new labeling. If you would like
to assist with rejuvenation please bring some black tea for next Wed nite.
We found sugar in storage.

There are some bags of hops and yerba mate that make for rodent nesting
material so those and any food or grain items need to be kept in heavy duty
lidded plastic or metal containers. We have some such containers but could
probably use more.

Under the folding leg table there are several boxes of glass bottles. We'll
be giving those to glass recycling unless someone claims them. We
understand that some of the commercial kombucha bottles were intentionally
collected. Well keep these if someone is planning on using them. Our
current plan is to make announcements as batches become ready for imbibing
and folks can drink it there or take it home in their own containers. We
plan to keep several standard kombucha mothers and several secondary
ferments for special flavors like Orange Julius, root beer, candy cap, jun,
etc.

We don't plan to put any limits on the potential ferments that we have so
kombucha, beer, wine, mead, yeast rising bread, njera, and more are all
welcome.

My particular interest is herbal meads but also all things fermentable.

Please email me if you have any interests, concerns, plans, questions, etc
involving the fermenation area.

Thanks Ken
litchfield.ken at gmail.com
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','litchfield.ken at gmail.com');>