[sudo-discuss] Your help needed! AdaCamp Oakland conference organizer (fwd)

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed May 6 22:17:42 PDT 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Subject: Ada Initiative is hiring! AdaCamp Oakland conference organizer

Conference organizer job description

Summary

The Ada Initiative is looking for an experienced and dynamic
conference organizer to assist with our next AdaCamp, a two-day,
100-person feminist unconference for women in open technology and
culture, which includes open source software, Wikipedia, fan culture,
and similar areas. This event will be held on the weekend of August
1-2 2015 in Oakland, California. Learn more about AdaCamp at
http://adacamp.org.

Details

AdaCamp Oakland will be the eighth AdaCamp put on by our non-profit,
the Ada Initiative, so we have a detailed and extensive conference
plan (including a well-organized todo list) and experienced management
and support staff. We need a conference organizer with strong local
knowledge and connections to execute our conference plan on a tight
schedule.

>From 3 months to one month before the event, you will probably be
working an average of 5 hours a week. In the month prior to the event,
you will probably be working 20 hours a week. During the event, you
will be working 10 hours for two weekend days in a row, plus about 5
hours a day on the previous day at the conference reception. Except
for the days of the event, you decide where and when you work. This is
a temporary, hourly, part-time position for someone with U.S. work
rights living in or near the San Francisco Bay Area that pays $40 -
$60/hr for pre-event work, and $60 - $80/hr for time worked on-site
during the event. We are holding a second AdaCamp in Oakland in
December and would prefer to work with the same organizer for that
event if at all possible.

About the Ada Initiative

The Ada Initiative is a feminist non-profit dedicated to increasing
the participation and status of women in free and open technology and
culture, including free and open source software, open data, open
education, fan culture, and similar areas. We take an explicitly
intersectional approach to feminism and are a trans-inclusive
organization. Our staff is located in San Francisco, CA, Boston, MA,
and Sydney, Australia. Learn more about us at
http://adainitiative.org.

Description of work

Required tasks:
* Find and book an Oakland-area venue for August 1 - 2
* Assist with recruiting an inclusive and diverse set of attendees,
with a strong focus on residents of the East Bay
* Find lodging for a range of prices (no hotel block reservations)
* Update the WordPress-based conference web site with various information
* Organize catering for an extremely diverse set of dietary preferences
* Organize professional on-site childcare
* Research and implement accessibility accommodations
* Recruit and hire on-site support staff
* Research and make reservations at 8-10 local restaurants for one night
* Perform a variety of simple, documented IT tasks related to attendees
* Create a local travel guide for attendees
* Send email announcements to attendees
* Answer attendee questions by email
* Attend weekly phone meetings with manager
* Organize event insurance

Optional tasks:
* Lead evaluation of attendee applications
* Write publicity material encouraging women to apply to the event
* Serve as master of ceremonies at the opening and closing plenary
sessions for each day

Required qualifications

* Extensive professional and social connections with a variety of
women in open tech/culture in the East Bay
* Demonstrated commitment to inclusivity of people of all races,
disability status, parental or carer status, sexualities, classes,
neurotypes, etc.
* Comfortable with events limited to people who identify as women in a
way that is significant to them
* Strong knowledge of local conference venues, caterers, transit, and
lodging
* Detail-oriented and able to work on multiple tasks simultaneously
* Self-motivated and action-oriented
* Willing to push back on contractors who don't meet our criteria
* Runs meetings efficiently, whether in person or on the phone
* Excellent written communications skills
* Tech-savvy at the level of:
    * Can efficiently process hundreds of emails per day
    * Comfortable with Google Docs and Google Sheets
    * Can create blog posts and pages using WordPress
    * Familiar with managing registrations in Eventbrite

Optional qualifications (not necessary but let us know if you have them):

* Experience in open technology and culture communities (fan culture,
science fiction fandom, wiki-editing of any sort, open source
software, open street mapping, etc.)
* Attended AdaCamp, an unconference, or a women-only event before

To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to
jobs at adainitiative.org. We prefer PDF or text-only format (or a link
to your online résumé).