[sudo-discuss] throwback Thursday: sudoroom weekend at chez hack

Autonomous autonomous666 at gmail.com
Thu May 28 13:16:10 PDT 2015

Thank you Romy for posting these videos. Unfortunately Chez Hack is no
more! The Nottebohms, the wonderful former owners of Chez Hack (aka Chez
Nottebohm), were the victims of predatory lending followed by foreclosure
and ultimately, forcible eviction by the sheriff. Fortunately we managed to
secure the vacant 1/2 acre property next door to Chez Hack 1.0, which has
been deemed "Woodlands Sanctuary" - an amazing space situated in the
woodlands connected to China Camp State Park. On this property I built an
off-grid homestead, nursery with two greenhouses and of course, a
hackerspace.

A possibility exists to host Chez Hack 2.0 at Woodlands Sanctuary if there
is sufficient interest. There could be a workshop at Chez Hack 2.0 on
alternative methods of acquiring and developing property on the cheap for
cash while avoiding involvement of elements of the evil real-estate/banking
industry. This would include secrets of how to acquire land for dirt-cheap
and develop it for various purposes, including building a stealth off grid
energy system made from low-cost off the shelf components. Incredibly, I
have acquired over 20 properties over the years with some in various stages
of development. It would also be cool to maybe build a few mini-shelters on
wheels and donate them to homeless. In Marin county over 75% of the
homeless grew up in the county and chose to stay here where they belong.
Over half of the homeless in Marin are gainfully employed but are homeless
due to the lack of affordable housing.

As with Chez Hack 1.0, camping on the property would be available with
limited amenities. There's also great hiking and mountain biking on trails
in redwood groves nearby. I should also mention that there is a rather
strange arrangement that has to do with the abandoned foreclosed property
next door, but I am not at liberty to discuss this in a public forum.

So, let me know if anybody would be down for Chez Hack 2.0!