[sudo-discuss] Hackers unite

Ryan yandoryn at gmail.com
Fri May 29 12:14:52 PDT 2015

As a person who was diagnosed PDD-NOS at a young age, which was changed to
Asperger Syndrome as a teenager, and has a variety of mental illness
issues, I'd like to clarify the difference between an excuse and an
explanation.

Let's say I did something to hurt someone. I have two options:

"Well, that's just how my brain works."

"Wow, I'm really sorry I hurt you. My brain doesn't work like everyone
else's. Knowing that, and how I hurt you, what can we do to make sure it
doesn't happen again?"

Choice 1 is an excuse, where I try to deny culpability for the way I treat
other people. Choice 2 is an explanation, so we can use my neuroatypicality
as a framework for explaining the behavior that caused the hurt, and then
keeping it from happening in the future.

Choice 1 acts like neuroatypical folks have no agency, which is, in my
opinion, fucked up, infantilizing, and a huge disservice to folks like me.

Let's make a comparison:

Someone with a movement disorder that causes spastic behavior keeps
accidentally hitting someone. Should they a) do nothing and keep hurting
people because "it's not their fault" or b) try to find a place where they
can take part of the activity where other folks are out of their movement
range?

(the answer is b)

We actually had an instance of something similar happen. A member who was
dealing with serious physical health issues was undergoing treatment that
made their mood very unstable. On the days of their treatment, they often
participated in extremely damaging behavior, usually specifically towards
women. When they were asked to leave, they brought up wanting accommodation
for their disability.

We came to the conclusion that "reasonable accommodation" does not allow
people hurting other folks.