[sudo-discuss] why i hate when people "clean up"

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Sun May 31 22:12:59 PDT 2015

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 12:59 AM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:

> someone "cleaned" the 3d printer table and now the guitar string that we
> use to clear up clogs in the nozzle is missing.
>
> don't clean up something if you don't know how to use it!

I disagree. If we were to not clean things up that we don't understand then
most people would be very limited in what they can clean. This is not
viable and I suspect that very few people are comfortable operating in as
high a level of disorganization as you. I would say that the level of
messiness in sudo room is the primary turn-off for myself when it comes to
working there, even before "people will distract me from my work" which is
mostly solvable with headphones.

It is super frustrating when people move/trash useful stuff. This has
definitely happened to me. The solution is to not leave anything unlabeled
in the space that you care about. Either label the thing or put it in a
container and label the container. Short pieces of guitar string is
especially in need of labeling since it resembles trash to most people. The
label should be clear enough that people will know what to do. E.g: Guitar
string could be labeled as "3D printer head cleaner". Back in old sudo room
I had labeled the guitar string by putting a piece of blue painter's tape
around it and writing on it.

Tools that are obvious to everyone as being useful and not up for hacking,
like screwdrivers, should be labeled with just "sudo room". Bigger things
should use labitrack.

It would also really help if we establish a proper "aging shelf" where
stuff is put on one shelf and then moved down every day or two until it
reaches the bottom and is then thrown out. I think ideally we'd have at
least one week of aging before something unlabeled is thrown out. I will
try to set this up next time I am at sudo. This would also serve well as a
lost and found, where the last shelf can be thought of as a free pile.

> i'd rather have a functional 3d printer or soldering setup than a clean,
> useless table.

We want a clean table AND a functional 3D printer.

> i fixed the motor drivers on the type A machine 3d printer, now we just
> need another guitar string to clean the nozzle and we're back in business.

Nice! Great to have the Type A back in action :D

--
marc/juul