[sudo-discuss] [omni-discuss] Benefit Corporation?

Torrie Fischer tdfischer at hackerbots.net
Fri Nov 6 22:25:20 PST 2015

I'd always been told that a non profit can sell things and rent out things as
long as its within the purpose as filed with a 501c3 application. The Omni's
(abridged) legal purpose is to educate, do science, fight oppression, and
operate property to facilitate that. If there's an A/V group that wants to put
on badass professional shows while simultaneously /teaching/ people how to put
on badass professional shows (like a vocational school, for example), thats
legit, right?

If not, could the purpose be legally amended to accommodate a new goal
somehow? "fostering oakland culture" or something just nebulous enough to pass
the IRS.

I'm not a tax lawyer, don't know any, and have not been party to what sounds
like a very thorough discussion group so I hope someone tells me why I'm a
fool.