[sudo-discuss] Key policy

Patrick O'Doherty p at trickod.com
Tue Oct 6 10:48:55 PDT 2015

FWIW the policy that was settled on, and which has worked at noisebridge
is to keep physical keys as few as possible, given that
a) we have confidence in the RFID system working
b) all required access is possible through RFID
c) RFID tokens are easily revokable

is there any particular reason you'd like a physical key over the
equivalent RFID token?

giving every member, even those not really active like myself, a
physical key can cause trouble when they spread beyond control. This has
happened multiple times at noisebridge causing us to rekey the lock.
It's a pain in the ass, and the RFID system now allows us to avoid most
of the pain.

One thing that physical keys have over the RFID tokens is potential
anonymity. To address this though the RFID access system allows
anonymous tokens, and it also does not log any information about the
comings and goings of particular tokens.

just throwing in $0.02 as it's worked (IMHO at least) really well in
keeping noisebridge open and safe.

yar: