[sudo-discuss] Astra Taylor Talk on Taking Back power in the Age of Networks - (video)

Romy Ilano romy at snowyla.com
Mon Sep 28 20:45:50 PDT 2015

I thought you would all enjoy this talk from Astra Taylor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdImE0iC2IQ

Listened to this on my way to work.

   - I think it'd be fun to play one of these videos on our SudoRoom
   television Thursday or Friday evening during one of the Linux installfests.
   - We have a lot of really smart people here, it'd be cool if they gave a
   five minute or ten minute talk on something like this - especially if it
   was around stuff going on in the SudoRoom and collectives in Oakland. I'd
   certainly forward this and tell people on the way to work to listen =D

Astra Taylor was also part of the group that collectively bought private
debt and forgave a lot of college loans.

*The Internet is said to be a space of democratic expression and
transformation, both culturally and politically. But how true is that
claim? What are some of the economic, technical, and legal obstacles in
place? Drawing from her recent book, "The People’s Platform: Taking Back
Power and Culture in the Digital Age," and her experience as an artist and
an activist, Astra Taylor -- filmmaker, writer, and political organizer --
addresses campaigns by musicians against streaming services and debtors
against creditors to reflect on the larger question of how to organize and
leverage change in an age of virtual networks -- be they networks of
cultural distribution or financial ones.*

Romy Ilano
romy at snowyla.com