[sudo-discuss] Need powered speakers for Omni deloitering

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Tue Apr 12 18:03:58 PDT 2016

The Omni's insurance company is upset because people are sitting on the
steps outside of the ballroom entrance drinking beer. We have tried talking
to them but they're not being cooperative.

Since it's an emergency exit we can't make it hard to sit on the steps
without also blocking the exit.

So! Taking a queue from the Copenhagen main train station me and Robb have
set up a system that constantly plays loud dramatic atonal symphony music
from the other side of the door.

Unfortunately we don't have any powered speakers that are quire loud enough
to penetrate.

If you have any < 12" powered speakers that you'd like to donate to this
endavour, please bring them by :)

--------------

For the technically curious:

It's a cheap Western Digital N750 router running openwrt with a usb stick
full of mp3s, a usb audio interface and some desktop computer speakers.

Feel free to add music but ensure that they are mp3 format. Just turn it
off before unplugging the usb stick. It will automatically start playing
all mp3s on the stick when it boots.

We had the idea that it would be really useful if we could blast it only
when people sit there, so if we had a camera that could specifically only
see the steps and then allowed sudo/omni members to tune in and blast music
when someone is sitting there, that would be nice.

--
marc/juul