[sudo-discuss] robot has a full-size router mounted on it now

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Apr 20 14:53:42 PDT 2016

the coil you're referring to in the video of the robot drawing the
dinosaur was used as a weight to hold the sharpie down in the holder, so
that the sharpie could write on the paper despite the robot not moving
exactly perfectly coplanar with the paper on the floor.

when the robot is in pen-up Z position, the pen is resting at the bottom
of the holder but still not touching the paper.  When the robot moves to
pen-down Z height, the pen is resting on the paper with the coil's weight
pressing it down and it's writing.  It was a kluge.

also a sharpie is tapered so it doesn't work very well because it's
sloppy in the hole, which is in a 3d printed plastic thing i made just for
holding sharpies.  We need markers that are not tapered.

-jake