[sudo-discuss] air compressor and plasma cutter

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Apr 27 13:06:40 PDT 2016

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016, Marc Juul wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 1:44 AM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
>       BUMP
>
>       we got the plasma cutter working!  But the air compressor is still
>       messed up.  We took it apart three times trying to fix the check
>       valve, but it simply didn't work.
>

> I love plasma cutters but how are we going to safely use one indoors?
> I'm not sure anyone wants to breathe clouds of metal oxides:
>
>   http://www.hgcodedwelding.com/hg-coded-welding-blogs/plasma-cutting-danger

this is a very valid concern, but my plan is to setup, in the words of
that blog post, "a powerful fume extractor" connected to the shiny 8" duct
that runs to the vent in the ceiling.

Last night someone was using the laser cutter with that duct and the
performance was insufficient.  I intend to reconfigure the exhaust duct in
a couple of ways:

1. I will move the wood plate at the top of the duct so that it mates
correctly with the round vent hole in the roof window

2. I will setup an electric exhaust blower on the roof so that air gets
sucked out through the hose.

these changes will improve performance both when the duct is used with the
laser cutter, and when it's moved over to the plasma cutter for use when
we're cutting metal.

any help is appreciated!

-jake