[sudo-discuss] air compressor and plasma cutter

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 13:09:08 PDT 2016

We should definitely disallow cutting of any stainless steel, which causes
dangerous hexavalent chromium dust. For those of you with the blank stares,
hex chromium is the pollutant linked to dozens of cancer cases in the Erin
Brokovich movie, a dramatized account of an infamous case where PG&E wound
up paying out a third of a billion dollars in damages.

We should probably ban any galvanized metals as well. Zinc fumes are nasty.
Nickel in stainless steel is a concern as well. So is the cadmium and
manganese in some grades of steel.

The upshot is that we probably shouldn't be doing any plasma cutting
without some serious ventilation. And eye protection of course - a welding
curtain or screen might be good to have.

Patrik

PS: We've been discussing the possibility of doing water testing for metal
contaminants in CCL. But having a plasma cutter spewing metal oxides into
the air on the other side of the room may very well make that impossible...