[sudo-discuss] Tomorrow: Javascript - The hard parts

Lesley Bell zvezdalune at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 14:25:58 PDT 2016

Hello fellow-JS-ers,

Tomorrow night (Thursday 4/28) at Javascript night, I'm planning to work
through this
<http://www.meetup.com/Build-With-Code-San-Francisco/events/230640534/>
lecture/program on
some aspects of the language I haven't yet gone deeply into. Hopefully
enough interested people show up to do the pair programing part of the
agenda :)

>From the event page:

   - Learn and build with the hard parts of JavaScript through intuitive
   lectures and pair-programming
   - This week for Javascript - The Hard Parts we cover Callbacks and
   Higher Order Functions. This includes how to handle or recreate the
   functions:
      - map • reduce • forEach This is a concept that 80% of JavaScript
      engineers do not understand but are at the core of every single
successful
      application.
      - This is possible because we'll understand the essence of these
      tough concepts and then switch into pair-programming through the
challenges
      to cement the concepts
   - The evening session is comprised of:
      - 6:30 - 6:45pm: Sign in and meet your future pair programming
      partner.
      - 6:45 - 7:15pm: Core JavaScript concept for the challenge and
      introduction to the secret hack for learning to code -
      pair-programming.
      - 7:15 - 8:00pm: Pair-programming.

If anyone has suggestions for better tutorials for these concepts in JS
specifically, please let me know. Otherwise, it will be interesting to try
it out and see what happens, and maybe get some new people in the space.