[sudo-discuss] 120V isolation transformer?

Jake jake at spaz.org
Thu Aug 18 23:05:24 PDT 2016

does sudoroom have an isolation transformer?  it's something that plugs
into a regular outlet and outputs the same voltage, but it's isolating.

we have a couple of universal AC converter boxes which provide 240VAC when
you plug them into 120VAC but they are "autotransformers" and they don't
isolate.

I want us to have an isolating transformer so that when people experiment
with AC-powered devices, they are much less likely to suffer a lethal
shock and die.

note:  some voltage-regulator transformers are isolating, but since they
distort the waveform in order to achieve the voltage stabilizing, they are
not ideal for our purposes.

thank you,
-jake