[sudo-discuss] 120V isolation transformer?

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 15:24:44 PDT 2016

We actually do have a transformer in CCL - just bought one not too long
ago, because we were planning to do some messing around with high
voltage. It's at the end of one of the lab benches, right next to to the
rotovap. Has 110V and 220V outlets, and should be able to do up to 1500W.

I *think* it's an isolation transformer rather than an autotransformer, but
I couldn't actually find any documentation saying so explicitly, so someone
should check first! You should be able to check resistance between input
and output windings - if it's an autotransformer there will be a direct
copper path between input and output; if it's an isolation transformer the
two should be disconnected.

We bought this one for CCL (cheaply, but with, like, actual real money!),
so please put it back after you use it...

Patrik