[sudo-discuss] a warm place to hack

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sun Jan 3 18:23:11 PST 2016

we are all starving for a warm place to hack, and sudoroom attendance is
reduced for obvious reasons.

what we need is a warm room to hack, and i propose the following:

we tarp above the server balcony of sudoroom, and seal the whole thing
like a room.  To enter from the steps you have to pull back a magnetically
sealed thing or maybe we can make a hinged door thing, i don't know.

all the heat from the servers (and people hacking in there) will be
conserved and it will be social in addition to being warm.
I have some lighting that might be appropriate, to help people feel like
they're in the sun, as well as providing warmth.

also it will be a nice chance to clean up that area and move things around
and make it a hacking zone again.

HOW CAN I HELP?

if you have tarps or sail material or blankets or rope or anything you
think could be used to close off the area, let's talk about it to see if
it will work.  If you bring it in on your own I hope you install it too -
it might take some carpentry or something to have places to attach it.
I think the ceiling should be about 10' high, or whatever it takes to
enclose the eastern shelves up there and securely seal to the wall.

if you know what any of the stuff is upstairs, and think you can clean up
or move things elsewhere, please do that.  We have a lot of printers and I
don't know which ones are good or bad, and there are a lot of stereo
systems and computers up there that maybe need to be put back into
inventory, or put in the e-waste pile.

also it's really dirty and dusty up there, so if you know where is a
vacuum and/or brooms/dustpans please help get it clean up there.

please write back if you think this is a good idea.

-jake