[sudo-discuss] Gig to make tech for volunteer Doulas.

Maximilian Klein isalix at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 17:36:05 PDT 2016

Greetings Sudo Web Craftians,

tldr: opportunity to make/finish a web-app for volunteer Doulas, doing
social good and making a small amount of cash at the same time.

I have been working with Spiral Doulas, an organization that mostly
provides abortion support to low-income individuals in Minneapolis, to
create a web-app that would manage their client interactions. Abortion
doula organizations have very special privacy needs for their clients, and
yet have no off the shelf technology at all to support them. The system
must match clients and doulas anonymously until both parties accept the
match, then swap contact information, and track results. In the spring,
working closely with organizers we created a UI prototype which you can
play with at http://doula.cs.umn.edu/client.html. The Spiral saw so much
potential in the prototype that they asked if we could complete it this
summer - which the old team can't. Would you like to help?

The goal is to polish the front-end, which is half-complete, and implement
the backend. We spent a lot of time prototyping the UX and running it
through user testing, so we know we have something useful on our hands. In
fact there are many volunteer doula organizations that have identical
needs, so there might be many instances of this system rolled out.

Which technologies to use? At the moment we have just written some
javascript and css (all open source). As for the backend we were planning
to use mysql and django, but don't consider the backend technology to be a
deal breaker, you could make your choice. The old team would be glad to
jump back in and help with development and support starting in the fall.

The compensation right now is not finalized. Spiral have indicated that
they have some money for summer development. This a small team with
non-profit funding of only a few thousand dollars per year, so calibrate
expectations accordingly. You'll also receive the satisfaction of writing a
program that people will actually use, and use to make a positive change in
the world.

Email me max at notconfusing.com to find out more.

Make a great day,
Max Klein ‽ http://notconfusing.com/