[sudo-discuss] [omni-sys] development of new wordpress site for omnicommons.org

Matt Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 16:25:08 PDT 2016

Huh, it's interesting you point that out. Can you give concrete details
that point out the significant differences between the two calendars?

I find it surprising because I've noted over the years that in fact the
current calendar is very buggy and inconsistent on desktop and mobile. I've
had to manually repair several debilitating bugs with the UI. It's very
heavy in the use of JavaScript, creating lots of interaction, hover, and
modal issues. As for mobile, take notice of how the current calendar
scrolls across an iframe window in the page on an android mobile browser,
it's really restricting--and you can't read the full names of events.

The style differences of the new calendar are still in development as the
theme is still under development. However, at the very least, it's all very
basic HTML so it actually loads a lot more clearly on mobile browsers
(before we've made any changes at all) than the current calendar which
obfuscates a lot more information. I agree it's not right on yet, adding
some padding/margins/font-size-changes will make a significant difference.
Further, my view has been that the end calendar output is the last part
that needs to be polished up since it's all the back end mechanisms and
their reliability that have taken the majority of my attention in this
effort so far.

I'm happy to report after much searching, this plugin reliably replaces all
the integral calendar features of our old calendar plugin except the form
submission aspect (which did have to be customized by yar for the current
calendar plugin as well)--which is why I wrote my original email. If you
don't have any desire to participate in that, no problem. It's a niche and
specific task.

Finally, I believe that if we have a good looking blog that is integrated
with our calendar and the rest of our site, I think we will have more
compelling reasons for our existing active users and new users to write
blog posts that will get read. I hope to get to that point very soon. I
think the end is in sight, and not being able to replace the calendar
prevents us from advancing to replace the whole omnicommons.org site.

Sure, we could stay with the old calendar if necessary, or even just in the
short-term. I never said that was off the table.