[sudo-discuss] entrepreneurial use of non-profit

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Thu May 19 20:01:08 PDT 2016

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 11:32 AM, robb <sf99er at gmail.com> wrote:

> thanks for the responses.
>
> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 4:20 AM, Marc Juul <juul at labitat.dk> wrote:
>

>> Yes but you could block their membership within the four week period.
>>

> i don't see any legitimate grounds for blocking.
>
> i'm still confused a bit how a for-profit startup's office space rental is
> a tax exempt donation but there are a great number of mysteries in the
> universe & i'm ok w/that.

Well no-one is saying that sudo room's membership fees are tax exempt,
though anything above our base fee of $10 could potentially be counted as a
tax-deductible donation. You'd have to ask your own accountant/lawyer about
that. sudo room itself can count membership fees towards the 1/3 of its
income that has to come from charitable/exempt activities:

http://grantspace.org/tools/knowledge-base/Nonprofit-Management/Establishment/public-support-test

Differences in how different people use the space will not affect whether
their membership payments count towards sudo room's 1/3 income and that's
what matters for sudo room. How someone uses the space possibly could
affect whether or not their own contributions are tax deductible since the
test is roughly "do you pay/donate more money than the good/services you
receive are worth" but that's up to individuals and their various
gods^H^H^H^Hbeaurocrats.

I am not a lawyer so take my advice and your own risk.

--
marc/juul