[sudo-discuss] Nation of Makers, Maker Meals, and Oakland Makers

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 14:01:03 PDT 2016

Hi all,

As some of you may know, I've been involved in the Nation of Maker
initiative to create a national 501(c)3 umbrella organization for
makerspaces. If folks from Sudo are interested in being more involved in
this process, let me know, and we can get you in touch.

Some of the ways you can help out would be by writing a letter of support
on behalf of Sudo. Maker/hackerspaces around the country will also be
organizing "Maker Meals" where they invite their neighbors to sit down over
a meal or potluck. If anyone in Sudo would like to help organize such a
"Maker Meal" together with CCL, please let me know! I don't think we have
enough free energy to do one of these by ourselves right now, but we are
definitely planning to write a letter of support. We're targeting all this
for the week of November 15, when there will be a big announcement planned
for the Nation of Makers initiative. The email I attached below has much
more info on everything that is going on with Nation of Makers, Maker
Meals, letters of support, etc.

Along the same lines, I recently reached out to Oakland Makers to see if
they were still alive. They were very active two years ago or so, with a
ton of support from the City under then-mayor Jean Quan, but it seems they
mostly went dormant for the past year. To my surprise I got an immediate
email back from Hiroko from 25th Street Collective, suggesting we set up a
conference call or meet up with Karen Cusolito from American Steel and
Danny Beesley. If anyone would like to be involved in reviving Oakland
Makers (and maybe put some more of our own stamp on it!), please let me
know...

Thanks!

Patrik