[sudo-discuss] [omni-consensus] [BAPS-Organizing] Full Building Purchase Proposal & FAQ

almaz Y ahana75 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 15:48:10 PDT 2016

I don't think Sudo buying half of the building is good idea. Some Sudo
members already feel they have higher power now in this building and their
are not welcoming to other people. If they own half of the Omni they will
have more power to reject or kick out another collective.

The mission of the Omni comme

On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Lesley Bell <zvezdalune at gmail.com> wrote:

> Alice, in theory it's a good solution, but for the amount of money being
> contributed, it has to be a well-established, existing nonprofit.
>
> Not sure about the land trust, though.
>
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2016, 9:32 AM beehappysolutions <
> beehappysolutions at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I’ve seen a sign on telegraph ave southbound of the 24 frwy over pass
>> that says something like “east bay community sharing”  and I had the idea -
>>
>> If they are a registered 501c3 why not buy a nonprofit for the purchase
>> of the Omni building - I think all you would have to do is change the names
>> of the officers.
>>
>> I apologize if this is a stupid idea
>>
>> and I apologized for not getting to Wednesdays sudo meeting - but family
>> happens
>>
>> with love
>>
>> Alice
>>

>> > On Oct 13, 2016, at 12:18 PM, Yardena Cohen <yardenack at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > What if Omni shares ownership with Bay Area Community Land Trust? Last
>> > year the fundraising wg was leaning towards schemes like where BACLT
>> > owns the land and Omni owns the building. BACLT is a 501c3 and the
>> > kind of property stewardship we're assigning to "Omni2" is already
>> > their core mission.
>> >
>> > I'm sorry to say, I don't think power balance issues can ever be
>> > eradicated while Sudo owns half the building. One of the most
>> > important powers at Omni is the power to reject or kick out another
>> > collective. Not that I foresee anybody actually kicking out Sudo, but
>> > over the past few years, Sudoroom has exercised its blocking power to
>> > prevent several new groups from joining or remaining in Omni (Creative
>> > Empowerment Project, Oakland Nights Live), and to prevent other Omni
>> > groups from making important operating decisions which affected their
>> > status - such as Buried Seeds decreasing their rent, Homes Not Jails
>> > being a member collective without paying rent, Black Hole using the
>> > basement, Backspace's various plans, etc. Who would be able to hold
>> > Sudoroom to similar standards it's held for other groups? It's not
>> > about whether we trust each other. If you have to say "trust me" then
>> > you don't just have a "perceived power imbalance", you have a real
>> > one.

Almaz Yihdego, MPA
www.globalcommunicationservices.org