[sudo-discuss] payphone upgrades

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Apr 5 15:48:11 PDT 2017

as you may have noticed, the payphone outside omni has been vandalized.  the
handset is broken.  also, it does not make phone calls and the voice menu
doesn't tell you anything.

cel and I are changing that.  we are going to add the ability to dial out to
phone numbers in the USA for free. (no incoming calls though) and also add a
proper voice prompt menu listing the collectives in Omni so that people can
actually use the phone to call in.

later we will add the ability for people answering the phone inside the omni to
press a button to buzz the door open when someone calls them, and we'll add
more phones to places besides just sudoroom and CCL.

I believe part of the reason that the payphone was vandalized is because people
wanted to make calls and the phone didn't work, so they smashed it.  Who knows.
Anyway i don't think Omni should shy away from the opportunity to provide
something useful like that, seeing as we've already installed a payphone.

-jake