[sudo-discuss] Proposal: Safer DIY Spaces group as OC fiscally-sponsored project - project model

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 17:55:46 PDT 2017

Hey sudoers,

Last week I met with the Safer DIY Spaces group, which the delegates
approved to provisionally fiscally sponsor under a grant-making model back
in December. At the Delegate's Meeting on Thursday, there was consensus to
provisionally approve the proposal, with full approval pending some time to
check in with the individual collectives.

They have been doing incredible work (providing consulting and walkthroughs
for dozens of spaces in danger as well as participating in shaping future
code compliance policies at the city-wide level) and have many more spaces
they're still working on. However, the grant-making model of fiscal
sponsorship has been rather unwieldy (they need to submit a grant request
to allocate their own funds, which Finance then signs off on, then Finance
has to write checks out to them, etc etc).

This proposal is to fully fiscally sponsor Safer DIY Spaces as a
project-based model, enabling them to write checks and make debit card
purchases from their own subaccount (which is where their funds have
already been going).

This was the proposal Laura sent to Consensus on Dec. 14th, which is being
modified to provide sponsorship under a project-based rather than
grant-based model with an adjusted admin fee of 5% (which is the same fee
we charge Real Vegan Cheese):
https://omnicommons.org/pipermail/consensus/2016-December/000984.html

The above-linked proposal contains more info about the project, its
mission, activities, origin story and organizing structure. They have been
meeting weekly at Omni since December.

Check signers on this account are to be Isaac Amala and Sinuba Dreem.

This sponsorship agreement would be applicable retroactively to April 1st,
2017 with an admin fee of 5% (same as Real Vegan Cheese).

If we could pass this at the next Delegate's Meeting on May 4th, that would
be wonderful and enable them to access their own funds in a more timely
fashion, as much of their work is time-sensitive (eg prepping spaces for
surprise inspections, life-safety improvements, etc)

If you have any further questions, the DIY group can be reached at:
saferdiyspaces [AT] gmail [DOT] com (cc'd)

Jenny

Help open a people-powered common space in Oakland, California!
https://omnicommons.org/donate

-Laurie Anderson

 -Hannah Arendt

-Stéphane Mallarmé