[sudo-discuss] Cabinets for donation

hol at gaskill.com hol at gaskill.com
Sat Aug 12 11:26:08 PDT 2017

I couldn't tell from the pic, are they steel or wood?  I'm not sure if
it's addressed in fire code but steel cabinets could be great for
returning books to the basement.  I have long worried about too many
books being next to the shop and electronics benches, so this could
solve in situ or as part of a relocation.
On 2017-08-11 19:09, Jenny Ryan wrote:

> Points taken, i waive my irrational fear-based suggestion :)
>
> On Aug 11, 2017 5:26 PM, "Patrik D'haeseleer" <patrikd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Marc Juul <juul at labitat.dk> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 5:05 PM, Jenny Ryan <tunabananas at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm trying not to just see future potential rat nests, but... yeah :/
>
> Open metal wire shelving is preferred for visibility and cleanability. Closing doors breed the kind of "out of sight out of mind" storage sudo is trying to move away from.
>
> Hrm. I'm not sure I agree. The open shelving attracts a ton of dust. I don't think CCL has had any rat issues in their closed storage. It's the piles of unsorted stuff and things like the harry potter closet that's the problem.

Yeah, rodent-wise I would agree with Marc. A closed metal cabinet is
pretty rodent-proof. On the other hand, our open racks along the wall in
CCL provide quite the highway for travel of many little paws...

As for clutter - not convinced that clutter accumulates any faster when
it is hidden. It's definitely more of an eyesore if everything is out in
the open, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll get cleaned up any
sooner...

Patrik