[sudo-discuss] wax printer working

Jake jake at spaz.org
Tue Dec 5 16:24:07 PST 2017

i played with the printer on the left last night (the one i used in my
circuitboard tutorial) and I started by plugging it into the network.

its IP address was 100.64.67.250 (MAC address: 00:00:aa:a7:ba:e0 )
it can also be reached at test-77520.local

i opened its address in my web browser and was able to see what its complaint
was, it showed graphically which panel was signalling an error (turns out it
thought the front was open and i reclosed it) and also the ink compartment lid
plastic is broken, so it needs a pencil (normal 1/4" diameter) as a spacer to
hold the black plastic thing down and trigger the "door closed" sensor.

I was doing other things at the time and then i had to leave to pick someone up
from the airport, but when i left the printer was not showing errors and was
just asking for more paper.

the web interface is essential because the LCD display on the front of the
printer is almost totally unreadable because the contrast is out of whack.  I
was able to see it just enough to help me find it on the network and now we
know its MAC address and all that, and i wrote that stuff on a label that i
stuck on the front of the printer.

I didn't finish doing this, but the printer's web interface allows you to
upload a .PS postscript file to it to print, so that means to me that it can be
used from any operating system without drivers once we get it working at all.
I intend to try again perhaps tonight to get it working.

-jake