[sudo-discuss] [CCLmembers] New Project Nano-materials

Leticia Menchaca lbmenchaca at berkeley.edu
Tue Feb 28 13:56:01 PST 2017

Hi,
I am requesting your input on this idea since I have no experience
working in a collective way.
I want to build a Magnetron Sputtering  Vacuum Deposition System to
produce thin films, ultra thin films, and nanoparticles.
I am interested in working at the interface of materials science and
bioengineering.
My particular interest is exploring nano-materials for enhanced raman
spectra signaling - including bio-engineering for enhanced
fluorescence-emf detection.
However, other subjects also interest me, such as the toxic effects of
micro and nano-materials and how these materials interact with
organisms, cells and biological processes in general.

Building a thin film deposition system is a challenge but can be
extremely interesting.
This kind of equipment is very costly and only some very lucky people
have access to learning how they are built and how they operate.
This is because the magnetron sputtering chambers are used in the
private industry only by trained and skilled personnel. In universities
and technical colleges, only experts and selected talented students get
access to these machines while working on their thesis projects.

In YouTube I have watched people building their own vacuum chambers,
rather crude, o.k. for hobby but not likely to work for producing
nano-materials with real-life applications (sorry for being so critical).
I am contemplating working on building a system using your Collective
model.
However, I have never worked in an open group setting and I wonder if
this would be a realistic expectation and if there would be any interest
at all!
Although I am not alone. There are five of us in my group, we are people
with similar interests living and working in Berkeley with limited free
time to work on our own projects, since we have day jobs at UCB.
Only one of us has actually built such equipment before. The rest in our
group only have used the equipment and/or has worked on experiments
using nano-materials, mainly plants.

I look forward to your input.

Thanks,
Leticia Menchaca