[sudo-discuss] Makerspace at Mosswood Park

Rick Abruzzo rick at ricksemail.org
Tue Jan 17 15:15:00 PST 2017

Hello Sudoroom,

Jake Spaz mentioned there was some discussion on this list about the Makerspace and suggested I join so you can ask me questions directly. I'm going to include here the update I sent to the interested parties earlier today so you can have a clear idea of where we are at and what the current challenges are:

Hey all,

I wanted to give you an update on the Maker Space. Myself and Erin Burton, the director of Mosswood Park, were hoping to have access to 'the barn' by now but as it stands its still fenced off, even though its structurally sound. This is just to keep people away from the Rec center which is a burnt husk. I think first important step in building a proposal is getting a tour of the building and seeing what already exists and what we can do with it. Unfortunately Oakland DPW isn't promising access to the Barn till late March, mid April. Erin can enter it but she can't bring guests.

Also I have made contact with Sudoroom and they have an open forum meeting the 2nd Wednesday of the month which I hope to attend in February to give a pitch. I have not heard back from Ace Toy Monster or Mothership Hackermoms. If you know anyone over there you can poke to see if there are members willing to contribute to the proposal or commit to a build out once the proposal is approved, that would be most welcome.

Erin already mentioned the makerspace to DPW and they grumbled and said no. Erin says we should ignore this and I agree. Any DPW in any city in the world's main job is to say no, even if it doesn't draw from their resources because from their point of view any changes to anything single thing, even the changing of the wind, effects their resources. DPW isn't tasked on building a community, we are, so froward we march.

If you have any suggestions on how to best utilize our time till we can gain access to the Barn, I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you for your time and your patience, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out.

always,

RICK!

--

FIGMENT Oakland: oakland.figmentproject.org

Oakland Awesome Foundation: awesomefoundation.org/en/chapters/oakland/

Dancehall of Beautiful Radiant Things: dancehallofbeautifulradiantthings.com

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Portfolio