[sudo-discuss] [OMNI-ACCESS] Please stop disconnecting the front door computer!

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Thu May 4 00:41:36 PDT 2017

Heya omninoms,

I'm really sorry to make this yet another semi-distressed plea to all in
the commons, but it's the kind of issue that warrants widespread
dissemination:

There is an extension cord above the wooden chest next to the cafe counter
along Shattuck in the entrance hall close to the main entrance. This cord
runs the door server, which is critical to 100+ members' access to the
building. It has been messed with twice this week, both times resulting in
rather disruptive access issues for many.

On Monday, the orange extension cord running there was suddenly and
mysteriously replaced by a white extension cord (and disconnected from said
cord). Today, that extension cord was replaced by some shitty power strip
with no extension cord enabling the strip to even stay in the outlet (so it
fell out and all non-physical key access was unavailable). This extension
cord also runs the wireless access point providing internets to the front
of the building. It is not swap-out-able.

For those in the building when this issue arises, the correct measures are:
* Check that the ethernet and power are connected.
* After all is plugged back in, test your card to see if the door computer
is up
* If your card doesn't work after several swipes (namely noticeable by the
lack of a 'happy' or 'error' sound and lack of a red or green light), then
you need to power cycle the door computer.
* The door computer is a BeagleBone Black that lives in the metal box
enclosure to the upper right of the door. There's a PeoplesOpen.net sticker
on it, I believe. Most people will need to stand on a chair to get it open.
* When you look in the cabinet and observe that the beaglebone black
(basically a ~3x5" circuitboard to the far left of the cabinet) has no
blinky lights, the solution is to unplug both USB plugs from the white
cylinder by the 12v battery, and then plug them back in.
** There is a sweet diagram visualizing this that Lesley drew and which we
taped to the inside of the enclosure last night.

Of note - clearly, the door computer should be connected to power securely
through conduit, and connected to a much better wireless access point than
the crappy DLink router that is the current ethernet connection. The Sudo
Mesh crew is working on this sometime over the next two weeks. PM me if you
have some skills in this area and would be down to help!

<3
Jenny

Help open a people-powered common space in Oakland, California!
https://omnicommons.org/donate

-Laurie Anderson

 -Hannah Arendt

-Stéphane Mallarmé