[sudo-discuss] wifi is borked

danarauz at gmail.com danarauz at gmail.com
Sat May 20 03:25:55 PDT 2017

FYI: Changes I made last Saturday:
1- Install Ruckus WiFi Controller (creating the "Omni Commons" SSID.
2- install one Ruckus AP
3- firewall ethernet cables passing through the hp switches, then from the
HP switches to the Dell Switches, as follows:
Top HP Switch to Top Dell Switch;
Bottom HP Switch to Bottom Dell Switch.
4- Some cables from the Bottom Dell Switch were moved to the Bottom HP
Switch, mostly runs coming from the building. Like the second floor
computers, for example.

Changes that happened on Thursday night:
1- Remove the switch located at the second floor, and installed an HP PoE.
2- Remove the PON Node that was at the wall, it was disconnected anyways.
3- I installed a Ruckus AP on the bin above the publici computers.

OTHER CHANGES THAT I AM AWARE HAPPENED:
1- Steve's IPFS server got moved to the server room, and we plugged in the
HP Bottom Switch.
2- Yesterday, Thursday night, Steve made me aware that there is a laptop in
the server area downloading some stuff. I don't recall the name of who the
laptop belongs to. He mentioned, so I do not think that it was an abandoned
laptop.

Will be good to know soon what is the cause of the shaky WiFi, because I am
planning to continue installing APs, tomorrow, and maybe Sunday.

Thanks!

.

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:36 PM, Marc Juul <juul at labitat.dk> wrote:

> sounds like maybe a rogue dhcp server?
>
> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:35 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
>
>> i definitely noticed serious problems tuesday night that fit this
>> description,
>> the internet was basically unusable.
>>

>> On Fri, 19 May 2017, Morgan Allen wrote:
>>
>> After changes made on Tuesday the wifi has been super flaky. DNS lookups
>>> start failing after a certain period, disconnecting/reconnecting wont fix
>>> but switching APs might. But it will happen again on that one. So far
>>> I've
>>> seen similar symtons on sudomesh, peoples and Omni Commons

Daniel

Signal: 415.336.9143 <https://whispersystems.org/>

WhatsApp: 415.336.9143 <https://www.whatsapp.com/download/>

Help open a people-powered common space in Oakland, California!
https://omnicommons.org/donate