[sudo-discuss] internet down at Omni

Jake jake at spaz.org
Tue May 23 18:36:38 PDT 2017

this Tuesday afternoon I was disappointed to discover that the internet was not
working at Omni.

I found that the DSL modem we rent from LMI had no link to the outside world,
and that neither of the two phone lines it's supposed to connect to are active.

I called LMI and started a trouble ticket, and scheduled a visit by AT&T who is
responsible for our phone lines arriving at the building.  After getting off
the phone (right before LMI closed for the day) i plugged a phone directly into
the entry point box in the corner of the Phat Beats room and confirmed that the
problem is NOT inside our building.

The phone lines coming into our building cross the street to the construction
zone across 48th street, so I assume they cut our lines.  Hopefully AT&T will
come fix it tomorrow.  The LMI ticket number for this incidnt is 78496

They have my phone number, and if they arrive and have trouble getting in the
front door or into the room with the phone boxes I can buzz them in and tell
them the lock combo.  Hopefully they will come tomorrow afternoon.

Separately, i noticed that our DSL modem was only connected to one of the two
phone lines, which would have halved our bandwidth.  We should fix that by
finding a four-conductor phone cable with RJ13 ends, and using it to connect
the modem to the jack on the wall in the server area.

-jake