[sudo-discuss] [CCLmembers] Re: [omni-discuss] New safe space bans

Maureen Muldavin muldavin.m at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 12:16:20 PDT 2018

Here is the email I sent regarding Karriem in August 2016. He had been
bringing young startup founders by claiming to be an investor in Open
Insulin and a board member of CCL. I only found this out because he forgot
about a scheduled meeting in CCL with a women. I would suggest adding him
to the ban list.

"Sudoroom Admins,

Although, I am not a member of Sudoroom, I would like to request a block of
the membership of AbdulKarriem Ali Khan. He has been coming to Counter
Culture Labs for awhile pretending to be a tech investor. He has spoken to
me about investing in our projects many times over the past year. I had a
very strange conversation with him about 8 (really not sure) months ago
when I was alone in the lab. He was pretending to have bodyguards and
trying to get me to tweet at him from Open Insulin about potential
investment. (he didn't really understand that we were not a startup). He
claimed to not use e-mail due to his overwhelming popularity. He also
claimed to be an investor in the Omni and to do a lot to make the space
possible. He used lots of buzzwords and I believed him at the time making
me feel obligated to continue an uncomfortable interaction.

On Sunday, I spoke with a friend of his who came by during Biohacker
Academy. She stated that he requested she meet him at Counter Culture Labs
as he was an investor in Counter Culture Labs and the Omni. I told her he
was not associated with us, but she didn't believe me. Upon reflection, I
realized that I dread interacting with this person and dislike having
projects I am working on or involved with be used to con others. I don't
know why he wishes to pretend to be an investor, but I feel the reason is
neither positive nor benign. I am told that he has been banned from Oakland
Pinball Museum and Nimbyspace. I am not requesting to ban him as much as
wanting to prevent formal association and any personal interaction."

Maureen