[sudo-discuss] [omni-discuss] Linux dual boot on Basement Computer bank?

Ed Biow biow at riseup.net
Mon Jan 29 15:35:12 PST 2018

Only semi-useful stuff in *BOLD* for folks feeling overwhelmed by their
Inbox.

Reporting back, folks. I checked out all the 9 basement computers, and
found that someone had blown Linux Mint on two of them, without
bothering to preserve the original Windows installs. For whatever
reason, one of the installs didn't take and the machine would not boot
to a useful operating system. So I cloned the #1 computer onto those
machines, so they have Windows 10 and Debian Linux stable on them. I
gave them all new host names and Windows 10 didn't trigger any
activation issues, like I'd feared it would. I also looked over the rest
of the boxen & found that one of the machines would not boot, and
futzing with the cards and RAM didn't seem to help, so it is unplugged
in the corner.

I sent an email to Almaz explaining what I had done, but didn't get a
reply, so I left it alone until I bumped in to her a few weeks ago, and
explained that 3 of the machines now dual booted, into Windows by
default, and showed her how to choose Linux with the up-arrow key during
boot up. Without my prompting Almaz asked whether I could make the rest
of the boxes dual boot, and I told her I would be happy to do so, and
finished last week. I found that 2 of the machines had failing hard
drives, so I swapped the drive from the non-booting corner Windows box
and brought a 500 GB SATA drive from home, and cloned the first machine
onto it. *So there are now 8 functioning Lenovo computers in the
basement that dual-boot Windows 10 and Debian Linux stable*.

I decided the corner spot might as well have a working computer, so I
brought in a funky-looking Athlon II X3 440
<https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X3+440> triple
core box with 4GB of DDR2 memory that had belonged to Ed Rippy, a
sudoroom member who died of cancer in late 2016. The box also has Debian
stable copied on it, and I set up a not-great 1080p monitor along with
the original Dell 1280x1024 monitor (oriented vertically), so anyone who
wants can use a dual-monitor rig down there. I also brought in some 2.1
speakers. I've been using the box so I don't tie up a Liberated Lens
machine (I built them a i7 Hackintosh
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSx86> with 32GB of memory that triple
boots into O$X, Windohs & Linux). Mr. Rippy's box is pretty noisy, but
it has some grunt, Friday I was impressed with how fast it remastered
some Pedie Perez
<https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/25/richard-pedie-perez-shooting-richmond-police_n_5879108.html>
witness videos into a DVD that would play on a home player.

/_Pointless Aside_: Ed's main machine was a 6-core Athlon with a big SSD
and 8 GB of RAM. It was faster than anything I had at the time, but when
he died his housemate, a comrade from the Oscar Grant Committee, threw
it out, along with a couple of printers and a bunch of other stuff
because he thought it was all junk. Who uses those big, old computers
anymore? Instead he brought me a refurbed $90 netbook (without its power
adapter or mouse) that I'd given to Mr. Rippy when he was in the
hospice, because he thought that was what I meant when I said I wanted
to come by Walnut Creek and pick up Ed's computer stuff. I restrained
myself from frisbeeing the //fucking thing
<https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-Laptop-Celeron-I3162-0000BLU/dp/B01BTW4QNE>//into
the bushes, and instead ordered a replacement adapter and gave the
boxlet away to Danilo so he could play around with Linux. Anywho, I'd
snagged the triple core while Ed was still alive, so it didn't end up in
the landfill./

While I'm on the subject of pointless puttering, I have some decent
spare machines, and don't seem to be about to send another shipment to
Cuba with tRump in the Right House, *I wonder if folks would like me to
put a computer or 2 in the 2nd floor library*, above the ballroom? Or
anywhere else, for that matter?

You can fool around with the boxes in the basement to see the version of
Linux I have installed. Like I said before, if you just leave them on
for about a minute they will boot to an unprivileged user account,
'omni', password 'omnivore', or you can use the password SuDoRoOm to
select the sudoroom account, which has sudo privileges.

/_Techy Babble_ for them's that like it: There is no ethernet in that
basement hallway, and the Windows 10 boxes have a funky proprietary USB
wifi dongle. I compiled a working driver, but I noticed that when you
upgrade the kernel it doesn't add the driver unless you have the
linux-headers package installed, and I'm not sure I installed it in all
of the boxes, but I will eventually, but in the meantime, if you boot a
machine that doesn't make a working wifi connection you can choose
another box or just reboot that machine to the previous kernel by using
the keyboard to select Advanced Options for Debian in the boot-loader. /

Still Living Ed

>>> https://www.enigmail.net/download/

+++++++++++++++++++sig hell+++++++++++++++++++

biow at sonic.net (personal) - biow at riseup.net (political) - ejbiow at gmail.com (large attachments) - ebiow at yasashi.net (bcc)  ejbiow at yahoo.com (commercial)

ejbiow at gmail.com - ejbiow at yahoo.com - EdJBiow (AIM) - biow at riseup.net - often "Gnudnik" on irc.freenode.net

occupyoakland-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
oscargrantcommittee-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
oaklandprivacyworkinggroup-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
oaklandpublicbank-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
occupyoaklanddiscuss-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
oaklandlivablewagediscussion-subscribe at lists.riseup.net (dormant)
occupyoaklandkitchen-subscribe at lists.riseup.net (dormant)

Unsubscribe:

Relatively secure EMAIL:

Once you set up PGP on your computer please import my public key into your local OpenPGP Key-Manager. The valid PGP keys for my biow at cubasoldarity.net & biow at riseup.net accounts can be downloaded
here: http://ebiow.yasashi.net/pgp/

An "easy" way to set up PGP on your computer is to download the free & open sources Thunderbird email client (available on Linux, Windohs & O$X) & install the EnigMail Add-On.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/all.html
https://www.enigmail.net/download/
https://www.enigmail.net/documentation/quickstart-ch1.php

Looking forward to exchange snooping-free messages with you & making the NSA spend mondo bucks to discover the secret of my bube's kartofel kugel recipe.

PGP Public Key for biow at riseup.net:

Is god willing to prevent evil but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him god? - Epicurus (341-270 BCE)

                         _-^--^=-_
                    _.-^^          -~_
                |    That's all, folks!   |
                          | |   |