[sudo-discuss] Omni Media Lab: Initial Convergence

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Fri May 4 04:11:39 PDT 2018

Let's have a meetup to discuss visions, values, and available resources to
build out a community media lab in Omni's basement!

Tonight, the Omni consensed on Art Bison Design Coop's move to the basement
and transition to becoming a community screenprinting studio! Perhaps an
ABDC member could speak to what that might entail for the basement and what
would be needed wrt renovations/improvements?

Afterwards, we initiated a conversation about ongoing ideas over the past
many months to build out a truly inter-collective community media lab for
creating rad propaganda, zines, banners etc:

* Over the past 9 months, there have been many discussions about, and a
> good deal of work put into, the basement area formerly known as Material
> Print Machine as a potential inter-collective media lab for printing,
> copying, button-making, screenprinting, banner-making, zine-making,
> newspapers etc. Interested folks who've discussed the idea and/or worked on
> cleaning and clearing out that space include Jenny, Robb, Abe, Julian,
> Needa Bee, Marcus, and others I'm probably forgetting right now.
> ** The structure that seems most fitting is that of a working group, open
> to anyone to join and help steward and maintain the resources we already
> have available. The idea would be to lock valuable materials / supplies in
> a cabinet and host workshops, media-making sessions and offer access based
> on sliding-scale donations to cover materials/supplies/maintenance costs.

** For more info on the resources we already have available as well as a
> proposed layout, see: https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Basement#Media_Lab

Continued discussion in the meeting notes at
https://pad.riseup.net/p/omninom ... maybe not mentioned: the lighting
ballasts need to be replaced. There are some interim lighting solution
tee'd up beneath the bench dat robb built.

*I'd like to propose an initial meetup of folks interested in working on
this project for the afternoon of Saturday, May 19th or, alternatively, the
Friday evening before it. Here is a Doodle for all y'all busy-ass folks:
https://doodle.com/poll/ag7er35pqkac5b2a
<https://doodle.com/poll/ag7er35pqkac5b2a>*

An initial agenda draft lives here:
https://peoplesopen.net/pad/p/omnimedialab - please add to it as you see
fit! and invite people whom you think may be interested...

<3
Jenny

Help open a professional kitchen at the Omni Commons in Oakland!
https://omnicommons.org/kitchen

-Laurie Anderson

 -Hannah Arendt

-Stéphane Mallarmé

"Anything done for the first time unleashes a demon."
--Dave Sim, "Cerebus the Aardvark"