[sudo-discuss] server rack UPS

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Aug 28 12:16:00 PDT 2019

last night there was a constant beeping sound in sudoroom

it was traced to a UPS in the server rack.

the type of UPS was the oldest cheapest kind with no buttons or functions, it
didn't even have USB or any way to notify equipment that power had failed...

so I unplugged it from the wall for a second and everything went down, so i
followed through and removed it from the system and plugged everything back in.

After a while of still no internet, i realized that the router PC was not on
because it's a dell desktop that has not been configured to turn itself on
after being plugged in.  I pressed the power button and everything went back to
normal.

Of course i'm sure that dell is "temporary" but we should probably either boot
it into BIOS mode and set it to "auto power on after AC loss" or take a safety
pin and short the PS_ON# green wire (possibly a different color since it's a
dell) to black (ground) to force the power supply ON no matter what.

oh and also a sign of some sort.

to be clear: the UPS was not working and wasn't hooked up properly anyway.  A
UPS needs to tell the computers it's powering that the power has failed so they
can safely shut down before power goes off.

-jake