[sudo-discuss] new proposal - need input

robb sf99er at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 10:51:23 PST 2019

sudoroom wont have another meeting before the next delegates meeting
plz, read, comment, provide concerns/questions if you will

proposal:
This is a GCEA draft proposal, which could be amended, based on feedback
from the delegates at this meeting. Thank you for taking the time to
discuss this proposal.

GCEA as an organization is working to establish itself on firm economic
grounding. Unfortunately this has meant that GCEA hasn't been able to pay
its rent for 5 months of 2018, as well as currently in 2019.  GCEA feels
that there is strong value for both parties in the relationship between
GCEA and the Omni, and hopes that the Omni collectives feel the same way.
To this end, we are making this proposal to change the status of GCEA's
rent payment.

As an Omni collective organization, GCEA members appreciate the other Omni
collectives’ willingness to work with us as we solidify our financial
situation.

1) GCEA would like to pay its existing back rent to the Omni and is
planning to conduct fundraising event to that effect.  We propose that GCEA
be able to pay the back rent at its normal rate, and propose that the Omni
waive the late fees on rent payment. We believe this to be consistent
behavior with many Omni collectives.

1a) GCEA organized a fundraising event, Out The Blue, on December 7th, 2018
in partnership with several University alumnae orgs and groups. We expected
a portion of the funds ($1,100) to go towards GCEA's rent/youth trip to
Africa. This portion would have covered our back rent from 2018 completely.
We have been informed, after the fact, that the rules of the Commons Group
prevent the funds from this event from going towards GCEA's rent.  We
believe this is a miscommunication and intend to have a conversation with
the Common's Group in hope that our portion of the funds be allocated
towards GCEA's rent.  We will be appreciative if that happens, but if not
GCEA intends to hold another fundraising event in order to pay for its back
rent.

2)  GCEA would like to propose that the rent be reduced to one dollar, for
the ongoing period.  We hope to be able to return to a larger rental rate
in the future, but are having difficulty meeting this need right now. We
understand that there is some precident in Omni history for an organization
to have one dollar rent.
2a)  We understand that there are organizations that exist at the Omni who
make payments largely through paying a percentage of their donations
directly to the Omni, rather than a monthly rent.  GCEA would like to
propose that it continue to support the Omni financially by giving a
portion of its income from fundraisings and donations to the Omni.  We
would like to discuss that level with the Omni. Internally we have
discussed numbers around 30-50% of GCEA donations, but are happy to discuss
the appropriate level for this with the Omni Delegates.

3) GCEA has limited funds at the moment, but wants to continue contributing
to the Omni Commons as much as it is able.  To this end GCEA would like to
propose that it take on a distinct project for the Omni. We have
brainstormed an project: to take responsibility for a renovation of the
Disco Room. This would involve organizing and taking responsibility for
creating a working group to hold the meetings, organizing fundraising
efforts (which should be easier as an Omni project, than direct GCEA
fundraising), managing volunteer contractors, seeking input from the Omni
Community, and ensuring that all legal regulations are followed.

4) The delegates have previously approved that GCEA and BAPS have priority
use for the Small Classroom. Recently, some delegates requested that the
lock be removed from the Classroom door. GCEA, in conversation with BAPS,
propose to convert the small classroom from fully common space to
semi-common. We propose to keep the door locked, in order to establish
accountable common access to the room, and to keep it secure and clean.
However, we seek to make the room available to any group that makes a
reasonable request, except when GCEA or BAPS is already using the space.
Please note additionally that we encourage that the Ticketbooth room be
made more accessible to fully common use as soon as possible.

Thank you delegates for taking the time to consider this proposal.  We
welcome your thoughts and questions, and hope to be able to return at the
next delegates meeting with a m ore formalized and informed proposal.