[sudo-discuss] [omni-consensus] Proposal to Immediately Terminate Bay Area Public School Fiscal Sponsorship Contract and Member Collective Status

Jenny Ryan jenny at jennyryan.net
Mon Mar 25 11:40:13 PDT 2019

Speaking from my own experience here:

I left a career in academia 7 years ago, shedding the arrogance and inertia
inherent in that life to instead actively serve the people and projects
that inspired and educated me. For years I have voluntarily and without
(much) complaint done a great deal of the administrative crap work Omni
needed doing so that these incredible people and projects could have the
needed space and resources to do their work, by and large sacrificing my
own desire to work directly on the more enjoyable aspects of activism (such
as leisurely sitting around reading and writing manifestos and poetry - and
I genuinely love those activities! Steve, Julian and I have much in common,
tbh - we're all hypereducated and love writing. i wish i had time to do
more of it). That's hardly 'elitism' - it's essentially janitorial work in
paper form. Steve, is this merely a term you use for those who do Actual
Work in the building so as to paint yourself superior?

Steve does not understand, nor has he even attempted to grasp, the amount
of labor this has involved over the years, and I have lost patience for his
misogynistic devaluing of the difficult work that Laura and I do, in
particular, wrangling all the excruciatingly boring bureaucracy needed to
be done to ensure Omni doesn't end up like virtually every other collective
space in the Bay Area. And for the record, I'm a bureaucracy _hacker_, and
believe that the more we understand the innards of the system, the more we
can shape it to serve our mission. Would you like to take a class taught by
me?

I've no desire to attend any more "classes" in my lifetime that are merely
pulpits for old white men to tell me what to think, having already spent
nearly two decades of my life doing that (with an extensive focus on
Marxian critical theory, for that matter, and I've zero appetite for more
such lectures). Do you really think offering yourself as an 'instructor' of
Omninoms' "low level of political awareness" is the solution? Because
across the board I see decades of experience in direct action,
coalition-building, grassroots activism and international organizing that
I'm constantly learning about from this "elite" and am grateful to and
humbled by all who contribute to this project's survival in a spirit of
good faith. Anyone can participate in the Finance WG, for the record - it's
just that only 2-3 people ever consistently do.

>From what I know of the unfortunate situation with Jericho, Ed (a longtime
sudoroom member) answered the door and asked the person (a FNB volunteer I
believe) why he was there, which is standard protocol when answering the
door to someone you've not seen around the building before. I wish more
people did this consistently - some do, some don't, and if anyone has ideas
on how to ensure every single person who happens to be in the building at
any given point answers the door in the same way, please share them! When I
answer the door to someone I don't know, I am usually already in a meeting
and simply say hello, ask them why they're there and point them in the
direction of the event/space they're there for if they seem disoriented
(which is usually the case for firsttimers). For a long time, we tried to
fill volunteer front door shifts to make this process more welcoming -
Laura and I, evidently both members of Steve's racist "Omni elite" - were
two of the most consistent volunteers. I never once saw Steve's name on the
signup spreadsheet, which was circulated with a call for more volunteers
many times.

Good faith collective action is: identifying an issue (eg; front door
etiquette and equity); coming up with solutions (eg; re-forming a welcoming
committee with front door shifts and protocol); communicating to the larger
community (eg; calls for volunteers); and participating in the execution of
those solutions.

Not communicating an issue to the collective when it occurred, harboring
resentment for ~2 years, and then using said incident as ammunition is the
opposite of good faith collective action, imho.

I fully support Laura's proposal, principally because the reality of BAPS
is such that two white male intellectuals have equal blocking power over
our otherwise collective-of-collectives structure, in direct contradiction
to our shared values.

Let's make healthy decisions, people, and stop letting two individuals
(whose very "collective" is emblematic of white supremacy) dominate Omni's
culture.

Thanks for reading,
Jenny