[sudo-discuss] Problems on the Shattuck steps

Laura Turiano scylla at riseup.net
Tue Mar 26 16:09:53 PDT 2019

Hi everyone,

I have received messages from a neighbor saying that she is increasingly
concerned about the situation on the ballroom steps. It seems to have
deteriorated lately. She says there are often "lots of people" out there
and loud music is being played at various times of the day and night.
The people are drinking openly and intoxicated. Lee and Danny's health
problems have been getting worse so folks are frequently calling
ambulances to take them to the hospital when they have seizures. She
also believes someone (she did not accuse Lee or Danny) is dealing there
at night. I asked if she could describe the person who is dealing and
she couldn't. She has noticed cops patrolling more frequently and thinks
that other neighbors may be calling them or complaining that they they
feel unsafe.

I think we need to have another discussion about how to handle this.
There may be new people coming around. In the meantime, if you see
people playing music loud enough for neighbors to hear, please ask
whoever is playing it to turn it down. If you feel comfortable asking
people not to drink alcohol, please also do so. What I say is something
to the effect of, "we don't mind people hanging out on the steps, but if
there is drinking, loud music or yelling, trash, or illegal behavior,
neighbors are going to complain, call the cops, and that threatens
Omni's existence. If we go away, whoever owns the building next is
almost definitely NOT going to let folks sit here. So if it continues,
then we won't be able to let people sit here."

If anyone has any information about any dealing that might be happening,
please contact me directly. I will keep your identity confidential.

I have been encouraging Danny and Lee to get into a recovery program.
Their friend Andrew is also trying to convince them and is willing to
drive them to the program we have discussed.

Laura