[sudo-discuss] USB/MIDI/Macbook mess

Jonah Mociun jonah.thmole at gmail.com
Thu May 16 18:13:18 PDT 2019

Hey there!  Jake suggested I message you all cause I'm having trouble with
some weird things I'm trying to do with a new Macbook Pro with the USB-C
ports..   I use a bunch of different USB-2 devices (including some Nintendo
Gamecube to USB-2 ones) as MIDI controllers for Ableton Live.  One of the
controllers is a trackball mouse - both that and the two game controllers
go into this program called Junxion Lite to convert their signals into
MIDI, then there's an external keypad, a midi keyboard, a little dj
controller, two generic Arduino boards that control LED's, and a Makey
Makey circuit board.  That's 9 USB-2 devices I'm trying to get in there.  I
have a couple different USB-2 hubs and a USB2 to USBC hub..  I've managed
to make it all work but inconsistently Ableton crashes when I activate the
Max Arduino plugin.  Also the Junxion settings keep needing to be changed
cause the devices get ordered in a new way, apparently, every time I
restart the computer.  This all works fine on my older Macbook.  It's a
fucking nightmare and I don't really know that much about how computers
work.  Arlo has been trying to help me long-distance but he says it's a bit
over his head.  I'm going to meet with him in person on Saturday to see if
we can make any headway, but just thought I'd put this out there in case
anyone has ideas or anything.  Okay thanks <3
Jonah

--
http://thmole.bandcamp.com
http://spaz.org/thmole