[sudo-discuss] Converting KiCad to Seeeed Fusion?

Henner Zeller h.zeller at acm.org
Sat Aug 22 08:09:21 PDT 2020

On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 at 20:48, <ken at spaz.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there an open source tool or KiCad plugin that'll convert
> a KiCad PCB file to whatever format Seeeed Fucion wants?
>
> I found Osh Park super easy to work with as they have a nice
> web gooey to do this and can accept KiCad PCB files.
>
> Seeeed Fusion, however, has instructions on exporting Gerber
> files manually, which I followed, but which their system
> did not accept. It seems like the kind of conversion that
> could be automated away with some software.
>
> Googled around, didn't find anything.
>
> If you know of something that does, this, I'd like to use it.

I usually generate all my gerber files with a little script, that I have in
all my KiCAD
projects in some form; it uses the KiCAD python bindings (so scripting
needs to be compiled with Kicad)

https://github.com/hzeller/pi-registerplex/blob/master/kicad-scripts/kicad-fab.py

Just invoke with the PCB and it creates a subdirectory plot/ which should
contain everything
needed. Zip up the plot/ subdirectory, and you're ready to go.

I find that board houses sometimes have issues with the newer Gerber
formats, so switching off
the attributes might be what is needed in your case; already done in this
script
https://github.com/hzeller/pi-registerplex/blob/master/kicad-scripts/kicad-fab.py#L27

-h