[sudo-discuss] [CCLmembers] [URGENT] Omni Commons Response to Current Climate (was re: "Omni as a distribution point")

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 13:01:38 PDT 2020

FYI - CCL does not have a big stash of N95 masks. We may have a couple
lying around from the fires last year, but that is probably single digits.
We tried to order a pack of surgical masks to be used in cases like this
where we may need to deal with infected people in the community, but even
the lab supplier was back ordered and had to cancel the order.

IF YOU HAVE N95 MASKS IN ORIGINAL PACKAGING, UNOPENED, DO NOT OPEN THEM! I
think the local hospitals will be desperate to get them in about 2-3 weeks
from now, when all the new cases from St. Paddy's day hit (sigh). They are
currently not yet accepting such donations from the public, but they may
need to in the future...

You should only be using an N95 mask if you are a healthy individual
nursing somebody who is sick, and if you know how to properly put them on,
test for fit, and take them off without infecting yourself. They are far
too valuable to squander them to just walk around the street.

"Surgical" masks (typically just a pleated rectangle with ear loops) are
most useful on an *infected* person, to keep them from infecting the people
around them.

For some really useful info on DIY masks (get out those sewing machines!)
and even cleaning and reusing masks, check out this resource:
https://smartairfilters.com/en/knowledge-base/

Patrik