[sudo-discuss] [omni-booking] [omni-commons] [omni-discuss] [CCLmembers] [URGENT] Omni Commons Response to Current Climate (was re: "Omni as a distribution point")

Ken Litchfield litchfield.ken at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 12:29:05 PDT 2020

Heyall,

I have a few initial suggestions for the building protocols and skeleton
crew providing for essential services and securing the building.

Here's a couple links below for your consideration in well ventilating your
house or going outside as much as possible. Note that in Spanish flu times
the open air treatment of actual infected patients reduced the mortality
rates of patients from 40% to 13% over regular hospital treatments of the
time, influencing the design of hospitals until the 50s when antibiotics
took over and produced the current problems with pathogen resistance and
nosocomial diseases.

I would suggest that a simple adaptation to the Omni building could greatly
increase the statistical likelihood of diminishing the buildings viral load
by opening all the possible safe air vents in the building. Perhaps if the
some of the window panes in the basement kitchen could be removed then
cross ventilation in the basement could be improved. If all the windows
that could be safely opened are opened it would go a long way to helping to
keep the building safer. The skeleton crew could wear more layers for core
temps controls rather than heating any spaces.

Another thing for the protocols of the skeleton crew, if any "extraneous
folks" need interaction physically with Omni that should be by "Appointment
Only" in general. For when extraneous folks appear in emergency or
happenstance at the door then they should have no access to the building
and communicate thru the door or by calling a number posted on the door. Or
if they do have reason for access, it should be limited to the very
entranceway to keep resultant disinfectant requirements minimized.

The sign on the door saying that Omni is shut down to public activities due
to the corona virus, with appropriate wording, should include a number of
phone numbers for folks to call for various needs whether provided by Omni
related folks or institutions or by official guvchannels.

Any of these suggestions are tweakable.

I have more suggestions but would rather make them to the Commons/Building
working group for appropriate discussion, so perhaps we could make a
special list for that Protocols/Skeleton Crew thread and glean any
commentaries from this list and incorporate them there.

Thanks Ken

>From the Spanish flu times:
https://medium.com/@ra.hobday/coronavirus-and-the-sun-a-lesson-from-the-1918-influenza-pandemic-509151dc8065

Googling the Open Air Factor from above article:
https://www.google.com/search?q=open+air+factor&oq=open+air+factor&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i61j69i60j69i61.5831j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 11:01 AM David Keenan <dkeenan44 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> and all such events should include full-time omni volunteer supervision
> with blanket authority to manage events in the interest of public safety
>
> 3. I do think if possible a ‘security desk’ type thing at the front door
> where we can rotate shifts and also perhaps use the time to clean will be a
> good measure to ensure there are not unnecessary gatherings in the building
> and that social distancing etc is observed for those who are there and
> doesn’t depend on rekeying the door though that makes sense too
>
> 4. I have a lot of love and support for all our comrades deeply concerned
> for our communities during this time and just want to ensure we rigorously
> adopt hygiene and security practices.
>
> All it will take us one cord omninom who is there regularly to contract
> covid and probably omni will have to be totally shut down. If we want to
> preserve omnis mission as long as possible we have to mitigate as much as
> possible that potentiality given 50% of us are supposed to get it
>
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 18:12 Roberto Martinez <rcm00189 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks David for setting up the zoom meeting.
>>
>> Katrina, thank you for connecting energies to one and each other. We need
>> collectivity and unity, especially during these times. Because this is a
>> delegates meeting, I am wondering what are the conversations we want to
>> have? I think the meeting will naturally bend towards a conversation about
>> covid-19 and our response, be that mutual aid or other actions, however I
>> feel that we should use this space to hear from the delegates and by
>> default the core collectives at the Omni, as to their status, needs, and
>> concerns. I think we can designate working groups and other entities to
>> begin the work of mutual aid groups, omni building sanitation, security,
>> etc. and take it from there. All to say that it may be best that the
>> delegate meeting be a little more private to allow space for internal
>> conversations and stem from there to working group meetings. Of course
>> anyone who is interested is welcome to join the meetings and we should make
>> the change to this meeting public on our calendar as well - this could be a
>> topic of discussion as well.
>>
>> Just my thoughts. Thanks again a todxs!
>>
>> -RM
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 4:32 PM Katrina Wehrheim <wehrheim at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, David!
>>> I just found the emails (was hanging out on slack) .. and wondering:
>>> would y'all want other comrades to join the call? I'm thinking of a couple
>>> of folks who are loosely Omni-affiliated (have held down events / are in
>>> solidarity at large) and are working on mutual aid in East Bay ... my sense
>>> is they have a lot of organizing energy (and more volunteers to call upon)
>>> but no physical location ... so this might be a good match ;-)
>>> I won't share zoom, though, unless I hear some affirmative Yes .. and no
>>> Cheers!