[sudo-discuss] [CCLmembers] Regarding furnaces, space heaters and CCL.

David Keenan dkeenan44 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 23:01:20 PDT 2021

Hey all,

Apologies for my late reply.. which I realize, may be moot at this point -
but if it’s helpful (and this is mainly addressed to Eddy), per my earlier
hvac update:

- In short, CCL/Sudo’s space heater was tested mainly to lower our
staggering insurance costs (part of demonstrating we are finally actively
maintaining building infrastructure, which is why it’s expensive.) This
represents a monthly expense which at present, significantly dwarfs
whatever this heaters’ energy bill may be - so, this was an effort to save
all of us all money.

- The space heater was also tested in the interest of affirming its safety,
since that had never been done, which was a liability. The heater could
have been switched on by anyone at any time, so I consider this safety
check by a qualified technician relevant, provided the collective
life-safety of everyone in the building factors into CCL’s community
standards.

- Thankfully, the space heater was found to be safely operational by the
HVAC tech. So, no funds are needed to be expended to bring it into
operation (non-issue).

- The heater’s on/off switch was not at an ADA-accessible height and is
located in a clean room (BSL), so the present plan is this switch will be
moved out of the BSL to an accessible height at a common location where
both CCL and Sudo users can access it without entering CCL (given that it
serves the entire room, not just CCL). The existing switch will also be
replaced with a timer switch, to ensure it will not be accidentally left
on. This switch-moving work is not anticipated to involve the excessive
disturbance of dust.

- The operation of this fixed space heater is vastly safer and more
energy-efficient (and therefore more economical) than the portable electric
space heaters, which honestly should be prohibited throughout all of omni.

- Moving forward, regardless of whether or how often this space heater is
used, for safety purposes all heaters in the building should have brief
safety inspections approximately every six months, which is the norm for
all commercial buildings. In addition, if I recall correctly, such periodic
inspection was technically also our common obligation since day one per our
original master lease (before we acquired the building), a clause which was
accepted by CCL without any reservation.

- Periodic servicing of the space heater specifically, does not involve the
disturbance of excessive dust. It is visual and primarily involves the
temporary placement of a ladder without touching anything in CCL. The
projected duration of inspection will typically last no more than 15
minutes. If this brief, simple maintenance conducted in the interest of
everyone’s safety task truly has unacceptable negative consequences, please
elaborate.

- It is up to CCL and Sudo equally to establish common agreements as to the
use of this heater. If both member collectives decide its use is verboten
because everyone should just wear wool socks, so be it. That will have no
impact on the periodic safety inspection of this heater.

- The furnace adjacent to the space heater does not serve CCL. This
furnace, which is not new to CCL, serves an adjacent room, whose
rentability impacting Omni’s bottom line is at present negatively affected
by the inoperability of this heater for both comfort and COVID (air
filtering) reasons. Therefore, with respect, it is not CCL’s sole
prerogative to dictate its maintenance and operation. The lab manager,
Dave, has offered to carefully clean this area prior to its next
maintenance session - which will be well noticed - to ensure no excessive
dust will be disturbed.

- With respect to energy politics. Eddy, the likelihood is high that CCL’s
ad-hoc portable electric space heater solution to date burns more
non-renewable energy sources than this single gas heater, given that from
what I understand, less than 40% of Pg&e’s electric power is from renewable
sources. Therefore, in terms of its carbon footprint, I’m guessing CCL’s
negative-whatever freezers alone probably account for more annual
omni-generated climate damage than anything else in the entire building.
The pot-kettle analogy therefore comes immediately to mind, but your desire
to go green is admirable - if you want to do that, then you should join me
in meaningfully working toward planning for a greening of omni (grants) in
the form of PV, wind generators, batteries, and all the rest. If limiting
carbon footprints is the over-rising goal then CCL should work to cut its
energy footprint. What are you doing within CCL to address this?

- With respect to COI’s. Given that I don’t even have CCL’s COI after
asking for quite some time, I’m half-guessing it’s probably expired. (That
will be easy to assess by the date of renewal, so we will see.) But the
emphasis on reviewing a licensed, bonded contractor’s COI in the act of
maintenance, as a means to militate against determining the actual
real-life safety of physical infrastructure in the building, is a red
herring of absurd proportions. Are you actually saying that it is better to
*not* assess safety of this infrastructure, because doing so itself somehow
introduces excessive risk..? Because that is what it seems like you are
saying, and that is not in keeping with logic or building science.

All the best,
David