[sudo-discuss] request to Sudo Room re safer space discussion

David Keenan dkeenan44 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 04:06:22 PDT 2021

Hi Sudo Room!

I hope you're well. I would like to ask y'all for a favor: Helen, Sarah and
I are wanting to revamp Omni's safer space, conflict resolution, and bans
policies to make omni a safer, saner place to come to work on community
projects. We want to hear about problems related to these policies, and
about what in your view, would make them better.

We are embarking on what we anticipate to be a roughly 3-month process to
improve these policies, and we hoped to start by hearing direct and frank
feedback from all member groups and individuals about how they feel working
in omni with respect to the above policies, and for their opinions on what
about them could be improved.

(You can read about our proposed workshop-style process of engagement on
this wiki page <https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Revisioning>, which also lists
suggested prompts
<https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Revisioning#Round_1_Discussion_Prompts_.28proposed.2Fwip.29:>
for
a first discussion.)

*Therefore, we were very much hoping we could be agendized into one of your
group meetings* - or, set up with a separate meeting, if that is better -
to begin to explore these issues and start to gather your frank feedback.

We can meet over zoom/google-meet, or in person (with masks) if that is
better for you. Note that in-person meetings do not need to take place at
omni, and in any of our discussions, any feedback given can anonymized at
your request before it gets aggregated into a bigger omni-wide feedback
document.

Finally, because we want to make this process as inclusive as we can, we
were hoping to hear in particular from voices who do not typically chime in
on omni mailing lists or omni meetings.. (which is to say, a majority of
omninoms!) If your group has someone tasked with communicating with
delegates / rest of omni, we definitely want to hear from them too -- but
ideally, also from others in your collective.

If you are agreeable, can you please let us know at your earliest
opportunity when might be a good time to discuss these issues with us?

Thank you so much for your time, and if possible, please reply-all to at
least helen, sarah and me if you can.

Best,
David