[sudo-discuss] [CCLmembers] Regarding furnaces, space heaters and CCL.

Theresa Halula thalula at peralta.edu
Sun Sep 26 16:10:08 PDT 2021

I feel a compelling desire to answer flame with flame.

Climate change is not going to be greatly impacted by turning
on one heater for three months of the year.

Having lived 9 years in an Oakland Warehouse without heat
I can tell everyone that it does get cold in the winter.  My
preference would be to repair the heater we have and use it
when it gets cold.

I own and use long johns and wooly caps in the winter.  It is true
the Bay Area does not drop below freezing very many days each
year.  I am cold when the ambient temperature goes below
45 Fahrenheit or 7.2 Celsius happens between December and
March.

Making these heater repairs will make it realistic to ban space
heaters in the lab, making the big heater a safer option.  The heater,
properly installed, is very unlikely to fall off the ceiling.  Afterall it
has already been up there for years without an accident..

The OMNI is making these changes to allow our insurance
carrier to offer a more affordable policy.  OMNI will carry
insurance with or without heaters.  The concept is to reduce
expenses at OMNI by reducing our insurance premium.  Also,  this
policy will be covering damage from an accident, such as a falling
heater.

I think the disruption being considered is a short amount of time for
evaluation and perhaps servicing a heater.  Tarping a bench should not be
disruptive beyond a day or two and can be scheduled.

I'd like to point out that the lab has been closed most of the year
for most of us.   Everyone's work is important, so let's keep that
in mind when we talk about lab members in the lab year round
doing life and death work.