[sudo-sys] calendar plugin

William Budington bill at inputoutput.io
Mon Mar 18 17:57:58 PDT 2013

Hey, I just wanted to bring this to your collective attention:

The calendar plugin we have on the wordpress site currently is pretty
terrible.  It's the one we have on the Occupy Oakland site, and it
brought the site to a grinding halt.  This had to do with the way the
plugin generated its MySQL queries, which was pretty labyrinthine.  If
my memory serves me, Mark Burdett rewrote part of the plugin to optimize
indices on the table storing events.  We might want to have a look at
that before this becomes a problem.

I've also installed varnish on the server, and I'll be looking into a
good way to cache these pages and serve them from memory so we don't
have Apache/PHP hitting the disk and generating the page every time.
I've done something similar for other wordpress installs, including ones
being actively DDOSed, and it helped enormously.

Bill