[sudo-sys] [sudo-info] Linode Alert - CPU Usage - sudoserver (linode316279)

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Mon Jun 2 01:32:53 PDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 3:50 PM, yar <yardenack at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Marc Juul <juul at labitat.dk> wrote:
> > Oh. I see. It was trying to make a nice .onion address. Well it was using
> > 600+ % CPU which probably isn't nice on a shared server? I suspended the
> > process. If you feel that it's fine to keep it running then I don't have
> > problem. I don't know what the linode policy is on this.
>
> I think it's fine. It's running at maximal niceness (ionice -c 3 nice
> -n 18) so won't impact our own services. That's a good point about
> sharing with other customers, I hadn't considered that. The only data
> point I can offer about their policy is I have done this on half a
> dozen other linode servers and they've never said a word. :)

I think the way it's supposed to work is that they allow a certain amount
of average CPU usage per VM, but also allow CPU usage spikes of some
multiple of the average for some percentage of time. Whether they have
actually implemented that, I don't know, but if they have then spiking
constantly may affect our ability to spike CPU usage in the future. Hard to
say.

Unfortunately I don't think niceness has any effect outside of the virtual
machine that owns the process.