[sudo-sys] Slow internet

danarauz at gmail.com danarauz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 10:34:30 PDT 2015

TERMINATING:
CAT6A its a pain, I only have done it once. And now that I just watched
this video (linked below), I see that that time I did it not quiet right.

Cabling imho seems easy, but has a lot little things to look for; for
example"
degree of bending,
cover toxic or not,
gauge,
distance,
grounding,
no reg staples usage,
if possible a few inches away from electrical cables,
untwist as much as possible when terminating,
peeling down cable w the string to avoid cutting internal cables. :)
anyways.. fun stuff.
No to mention to have patch panels and connectors of the same category (5e
with 5e; Cat6 with Cat6).
Oh yeah, and grounding.

Article about GROUNDING and a video about how to terminate a CAT6A Shielded
Connector:
This guy (George1421 <http://community.spiceworks.com/people/george1421>)
seems to know what he is talking about. Good info besides of what I am
pasting here.
http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/433095-how-to-set-up-grounding-for-shielding-on-a-cat-6a-network

"Normally you don't need STP (shielded twisted pair) cable unless you are
in an industrial environment. In a business or home application there isn't
the RFI that causes signal noise. With that said, if you want to use STP
(older name for F/FTP) cable, you only connect the drain wire (grounding
wire) on one end of the cable. If you connect both ends you could create a
potential ground loop if the devices on either end of the link are
connected to different power sources (mains). Normally you would ground at
the switch end of the link. You will need special STP jack and plugs. Both
have a metal shell to conduct any electrical noise to ground. You can tell
if your device supports STP grounding by looking at the jack to see if
there is a metal grid around the jack, if it is metal then you can get the
ground from there. Also the STP jacks have a metal conductor around the
outside of the jack. You typically need to ground only the long runs. Using
STP cable between the wall jack and the device offers little protection."

"When you setup your wiring plant be consistent with your grounding. When
we install STP cable we always ground on the upstream device. For example
on the runs between the MDF to IDF closets to wall jacks we ground at the
MDF for the link to IDF. and then earth ground at the IDF to the wall jack
(remember I said to earth ground only one end of the cable). Also you need
to make sure your devices have an earth ground in the power plug. Some
electrical devices have a floating ground design for the power plug. In
this situation you will have to earth ground the device chassis (there
should be a earth ground lug on the back of the device). Here is an OK
video on terminating a STP jack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s65RTjtUic "

"Finally, the multiple ground paths comes into play where you may run the
STP between building and those buildings are powered from different mains
which may have different ground plains (grounding levels between earth
ground). If this is the case you will have current flow through the drain
wire of your network cable (not a good thing). This is why you should only
ground one end of the drain wire. If you are networking inside one building
with one power main then you should be safe from ground loops (as long as
all of your devices are earth grounded)."