[sudo-sys] sudo room gateway (space.local) back online

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Wed Mar 11 02:04:55 PDT 2015

I had a hell of a time getting that to work.

The new DSL modem / router is now operating as a bridge, meaning that it's
just a dumb modem and not doing any routing. It has a management IP of
10.0.0.1 but of course it's on the internet-facing side of our gateway so
the easiest way to get to that is to plug into the dsl modem/router with
ethernet, set your own IP to e.g. 10.0.0.2 and open a web browser to
10.0.0.1

The login info is in /root/passwords on space.local

The wifi on the dsl modem/router has been turned off.

I don't know if we have a static IP from LMI, but this is our IP for now:

  142.254.119.218

The LMI DCHP server was willing to give out one IP for the modem/router,
and then one IP to my laptop during testing, and then it would not give out
any more IP leases to any other machines even after explicitly releasing
the lease from my laptop. Setting a static IP in the same range didn't even
work. I had to change the MAC address on the eth1 network interface on
space.local to my laptop's ethernet MAC address. I put that in
/etc/network/interfaces for now, but I'll call up LMI when I have a moment
and see if we can sort out a static IP.

Since the dsl modem/router allows backing up and restoring configurations,
I put the configuration prior to any fiddling by me in:

  /root/dsl_modem_configs/original.conf

and the configuration as it is as I'm writing this email in:

  /root/dsl_modem_configs/bridge_mode_working_march_11th_2015.conf

--
marc/juul