[sudo-sys] New gigabit switches!

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Sat May 23 00:32:15 PDT 2015

We got a donation of two gigabit switches via Jake

* One Dell PowerConnect 5324 - 24 port gigabit switch
* One Dell PowerConnect 5448 - 48 port gigabit switch

They are both really nice rackmount managed switches.

I used a serial console to factory reset, upgrade the firmware and set
their IPs and passwords.

They have been added to the wiki page:

  https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Network#Addresses

BUT! They have not actually been installed in the rack and hooked up.

They are sitting on top of a brown paper box in front of the existing
server rack.

They just need to be installed in the rack and wired up. They can totally
replace the existing switches.

If someone wants to do this, maybe even the people coming for mesh this
Sunday (nudge nudge wink wink). That would be great.

If you for some reason feel the need to reconfigure them, then the login
info is in /root/passwords on space.local

As is they are acting as normal switches (though they have the STP bridge
loop check delay when new ethernet cables are plugged in, just like the old
switches).

They have web management interfaces so they're pretty easy to work with.

--
marc/juul